Sider

lørdag den 29. juni 2019

Sega STV - Repair log



Today we are going to look at a Sega STV board. I bought the PCB of some italian guy on the Arcadeotaku forums and it were listet as working. I wanted a cheap board for a game i had on the way from Japan. (more about that later).

The STV board is practically a Sega Saturn in arcadeform. I never saw this, back in the day - but the hardware intriges me. It uses cartridges like the MVS / AES system, but as the hardware is of newer date, the carts are a lot smaller in size.


Now sometimes when you go "cheap" and working - you just get cheap shipped to your door - if you know what i mean :-). Well the board were working, picture wise, but sound where all messed up. It sounded metallic and the sound where cutting out intermittently while playing. I did some research on STV sound issues and found that it's almost allways about the Caps and / or DAC.

I then went on aliexpress and ordred some Caps and a DAC for the board.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I got the parts in.I then proceeded to desolder the Dac from the board.


Used a Heatgun to remove this part from the board. Still learning how to use it.




The new Dac had some different designations on the IC but it also identified as a TDA1386T. The package seemed a bit smaller in hight (if that makes sense). I cleaned the pads after removal and soldered the new Dac in.




After testing it seemed better as the metallic'nes of the sound went away, but sound where still muffeld and intermittent. Guess it's time to recap the sound section.


Recapped the sound section and now the board is working again :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFu_ivdTUTA






Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar